The history of Oak Lawn Community Baptist Church rests with a group of devoted friends, who in 1729, set the pattern for all subsequent progress for the Church of Christ in Oak Lawn. Founded in a school, developed in the Friends Meeting House, and now housed in a hard-won chapel and fellowship hall, the Oak Lawn Community Baptist Church looks forward to the future.
Our sanctuary building is on the National Register of Historic Places for the Oak Lawn Village Historic District. The wooden fireplace paneling in the Quaker Room was salvaged from the kitchen of the Old Meeting House dating back to 1729, which stood on the spot where our present church school building now stands. In September of 2011, the entire interior of our Sanctuary was refurbished; wiring was updated, insulation was added, adequate lighting was installed, and ceilling and walls were all replaced. All this was accomplished while retaining the "old homey" feeling and appearance of our original worship space.
An important part of our history is the traditional May Day Breakfast, which was originated in 1867 by Roby Wilbur. It was started with the idea in mind to raise money to build a new building. The original festival was an all day affair, including entertainment by local talent, a maypole, and the crowning of the May Queen. Following the tradition started by the founders of our church nearly 150 years ago; our congregation now coordinates the event, but it takes the cooperation and hard work of over 100 church members and friends to make it a success. Typically we serve 800 guests.
This annual event is held on May First of each year and enjoyed by people from all around the state. What Roby Wilbur started is now part of the Rhode Island scene. Many churches and organizations are now celebrating “May Day” in similar fashions year after year.